An old family favorite, pumpkin bread makes a wonderful snack, breakfast or dessert. This recipe makes one large loaf or 2 mini loaves for gift giving
* 2 cups all-purpose flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour and
1 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon each: salt and nutmeg
* 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree or 1 cup solid pack canned
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup skim milk
* 2 eggs, slightly beaten
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup each: chopped pecans and black walnuts (may
substitute raisins or any combination to equal one cup)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt and ground nutmeg.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, milk and eggs. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients, oil and nuts mixing until just moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon batter into well greased (use vegetable oil) 9 x 5 inch loaf pan or two 7-1/2 x 3 3/4 inch loaf pans, may use aluminum pans.
6. Bake (in the middle of the oven) large loaf for 65 minutes or two mini loaves for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
7. Cool 10 minutes in the pan. Use a knife to go around the edge of the pan to loosen bread from the sides of the pan, invert, cool on a cooling rack or plate. Slice and serve.