Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Donít waste the seeds after cooking your pie or making
jack-o'-lanterns. Instead, roast and salt the seeds for a
delicious and nutritious snack. Let the children slosh
through the fibers in pursuit of the slippery seeds, it is
so much fun.
* 1 quart water
* 2 Tablespoons salt
* 2 cups pumpkin seeds
* 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 250 F.
2. Pick through seeds and remove any cut seeds. Remove as
much of the stringy fibers as possible.
3. Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the seeds and
boil for 10 minutes. Drain, spread on kitchen towel or paper
towel and pat dry.
4. Place the seeds in a bowl and toss with oil or melted
5. Spread evenly on a large cookie sheet or roasting pan.
6. Place pan in a preheated oven and roast the seeds for 30
to 40 minutes. Stir about every 10 minutes, until crisp and
7. Cool the seeds, then shell and eat or pack in airtight
containers or zip closure bags and refrigerate until ready
Yield 2 cups